Needless to say, I wasn't all too surprised when the organizers of this coming weekend's New Hampshire Championship Regatta sent me the following:
Notice of Cancellation- New Hampshire Championships Regatta
Saturday, October 15, 2005
We regret to inform you that we must cancel this years New Hampshire Championships Regatta. This last weekends rain has resulted in severe flooding in many parts of Southern New Hampshire. The Merrimack River, which forms our racecourse is presently several feet over flood stage and could go higher if we have more rain. Unfortunately, the forecast for the next several days is rain and more rain. At the present time, the current is so severe that the river is unrowable. In addition, Memorial Park in Pembroke, where we launch from, is under water up to the tops of the picnic tables.
In the interests of the safety, we have elected to cancel for this Saturday. No other date is available to which we can move the race and, thus, we must sadly report that there will be no New Hampshire Championships Regatta this year.
Please join us again next year. The race is always the Saturday before the Head of the Charles. We will be using Regatta Central again, so check their website for the exact date and entry details. In the meantime, we will be praying to the weather-gods and good luck to you all for the rest of this season.
That photo they included with their note is of the park area where all of the teams station their boat trailers. Part of me couldn't help but think how cool it would be if they held the regatta anyway. Instead of the river, we could race through town!